Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spirit of Ricks

This past week was Spirit Week on campus. I haven't participated in any activities in any of the semesters I've been here which kind of makes me feel lame... But for some reason at church when the paper went around to sign up for the Ward 50 Lap Relay I put my name down.
I'm actually really happy that I did it because it was a really cool experience.
I knew that all these events happened and I knew people got really into them but it was cool to be a part of it. Being on the inside makes it a completely different experience.
As you can tell from the name of the event it was 50 laps but a relay so ideally a ward would have 50 people sign up so one lap would go to one person. We had about 10 people who ran double laps and finished somewhere in the middle. My lap was really good for the first 250 yards... then I was reintroduced to my good friend the sprinting wall and then that good ol I want to puke and faint at the same time feeling. I think I ran like I was still in high school shape but was quickly reminded that I am indeed not.
This was the opening event so we got to see the giant torch get lit and were surrounded by wards in cleverly thought up attire.Most wards did colors, ours did 80's but the best ward dressed up like nerds. Not just pulled up pants nerds. We're talking different patterns and plaid matched with high water cords with giant classes and anything from harry potter to twilight t-shirts. They definitely won the most clever outfits in my book.

My roommates Kayla and Shaleena also participated.


Hurray for spirit.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

looks like a wild, fun event!

Mitch said...

nice outfits ladies..

Grandma Taylor said...

Glad you were not running in those high heel shoes I see you trying on!