Thursday, November 13, 2008

as days go by... (pt 2)

.tuesday.
8:00am Art History with Brother Toone.
I was excited to take this class and its has been one of my most enjoyed classes (other than the fact that it's at 8am). I love learning more about art history. I get some weird satisfaction out of being more cultured than the general populous. The only thing about this class, now my head is full of random facts about ancient architecture that doesn't really interest me at all. I'm looking forward to when we get to go into later paintings and stuff like that. But it has been really interesting. We just finished up early Christian art, and today we just did Islam. This is a two part class so I'll have to take the 2nd half another semester (it didn't work out for winter). So who knows what my head will be filled with by the end. And probably the best part is my professor is a really really cool guy. He's older and one of those bigger guys, but he knows so much!! He's funny too. He kind of gets lost in his trains of thoughts a lot but I think it's just because he has so much information in his head. He makes what would be a boring class into very fun. For example when we started Egyptian art we started off class with the 5 minute video of Steve Martin's SNL skit of "King Tut" (hillarious) and the next day we watched the Bangle's music video for walk like an Egyptian. Kudos to teachers who make class extra fun.

10:15 Chinese with Shen Laoshi
(see monday blog for details)

(go home for lunch)
12:45 Book of Mormon 122 with Brother Wightman
Last semester I took the first half of Book of Mormon with this same professor. I cannot adequately explain how much I love this class and what it has done for me in my life. There is a reason I took this second part with the same professor. I love him to death. He is a very enjoyable entertaining person. And he knows what he is talking about. He is one of the few people I have come in contact with that I would just like to go and have one on one lessons with them and just say tell me everything you know. I learned more in the first semester with this teacher than I had my whole 18 years of living. I continue to learn more everyday. If I just had this class and nothing else my schedule would be complete.

the view from where I sit
2pm. Devotional
Every Tuesday campus shuts down for devotional. It's held in the Hart auditorium but there are a couple overflow locations. Since my Book of Mormon class is in the Taylor and the Taylor chapel is used as an overflow I just watch it there. We don't get quite the all-stars that Provo gets but we are always blessed with amazing speakers. It makes Tuesdays a highlight of the week and just is an additional help to life.


Taylor Chapel
(for devotional there's a screen and the sides are blocked by black screens)



My beloved Taylor building

3 comments:

Grandma Taylor said...

I'm so glad your Dad has helped me comment on blogs. I have written many times and been disappointed when I couldn't get it to publish. I appreciate you sharing with me. It sounds like a good semester for you. I love you.

Scott Taylor said...

Wow - you've got a whole building and a whole chapel named after you? Lucky!

Did your dad and mom donate a lot of money to the university ... I mean, besides your tuition?

Megan said...

I love Brother Wightman and the Taylor building! Old memories are flooding back! :) Sounds like I might have to make the journey out there... especially since I've yet to see the completed temple.