Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Weekend of Goodness

Saturday Chantelle and me went to see the African Children's choir. When I first read about this performance I knew that if I had to go see any of the performances here this one is taking priority.
The African Children's choir is made up of children from Uganda. In 1984 Uganda was involved in a very vicious bloody civil war that affected a lot of people and a lot of kids. Since 1984 this program has taken children and given them an opportunity of their lifetime. Kids that they find, or are brought to them live in a small community where they have housing and a hot meal provided for them everyday along with an education, something that these kids would've never even dreamed about having. Then every year a different group are picked from auditions to tour to the west to share their story. They perform in France, and Italy. This past year they performed for the Queen of England and for President Bush and his wife.


The current choir

I can't believe how lucky we were here in Rexburg to get the chance to hear these kids. My ears have never heard anything so purely beautiful. Their voices were beyond was words can describe and dang did those kids have rhythm. They did dances for countries all over Africa, along with narrative dances and some inspirational songs. I just still can't believe how beautiful and amazing their voices were. It was a very humbling experience, one that I will never forget. I just felt so lucky that I got to experience their love of dance and music.


yep, we still like each other


Then... Sunday night (tonight) I just got back from a party that my Chinese teacher hosted at her house. She told us that she wanted to celebrate it not being midterms anymore. So all of her students from us (101 kids) to her 300's class. Everybody brought food had a good time. I have a very good class full of fun kids and we got to meet a lot of other students studying Chinese, and we have a super nice teacher. She's adorable. So we just spent the night eating and playing number games and sharing stories. :) hen hao.

1 comment:

Megan said...

lucky girl! all of those awesome experiences. :) Heavenly Father is definately blessing you, my dear.

i'm proud of you for sticking with chinese! now we'll have to go there together... and you can show me around.