Monday, September 28, 2009

i'm an art major!

More so than other semesters I'm really starting to embrace my art-major-ness. I've got the drawing class and design/color class out of the way (pre-reqs for every other art class) which gives me the freedom and chance to take real art classes. This semester I am enrolled in Intro to Illustration and Media Experimentation. The first one is pretty self explanatory the second class has a big word title. I always saw art-work up from that class in the Spori (art building) and was so super impressed. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty intimidated by this class but am now grateful for it. We're going to do some super neat things that I'm so excited to share with all of you.

For Illustration we first had an assignment, "Fire". We could do any medium, any design, format whatever. I only had acrylics so that's what I chose to do it in. And you can't really see it but for the veins of the leaf I did the Chinese character for fire.


The second assignment that he has all of his classes do was a cookbook. We find a recipe and illustrate it only requirement was that it had to be in perspective. I love this class purely for the chance to just be plain creative. Other classes it's more about technique and then once you get that down you can go draw what you want on your own time. This class we'll have a lot more chances to show off our creativity. We got to choose the recipe so looking it up I stumbled upon this little gem and instantly had a vision of what I was going to do.



Now the best for last. For our first assignment in Media Experiment we started in oils. There are other oil classes offered here that teach you the gob on as much paint as you can technique but our teacher wanted to give us a different technique to have under our belt. This was more oil glazing with photo rendering. That meant we took a picture of a simple object (he said it'd be best with a fruit, or vegetable or just something with a simple shape) all I had was an onion so that's what I went with. After starting it I realized that this was going to be a challenge. But it definately paid off in critiques today in class.
(ps. my camera warped the pictures of them a little bit. the real photograph's colors are a lot cooler but when i printed it out on a 8X10 it really did turn the colors to that greenish gray, and warmer like in my painting...aka looks better in person)



enjoy.

5 comments:

Mitch said...

Each one was more and more impressive. If you click and them and enlargen them it is even more impressive...the onion was so real it made me almost cry.

Megan said...

how is that onion not a picture?! i am beyond impressed. and i love that you put the chinese character inside the burning leaf... and you know the newlywed casserole drawing makes me smile.

keep up the great great work. i can't wait to see them in person in a week!

mhartley said...

OMG Jessica! You ARE an art major!!!! I had no idea how amazing your are! I'm so proud!

Grandma Taylor said...

You amaze us with your talent. I hope you make prints too. Keep sending them. G'ma

Scott Taylor said...

I had a jack-o-lantern that looked just like your onion!

Fun stuff.