Thursday, March 11, 2010

art update

Creative Perspective:
This is from two assignment ago but it got hung up on the wall (only 4 in the class got the honor). He put up our new assignments so naturally this one had to come down. I would show you the other assignment but that one made it up on the wall also! I can't tell you how good it feels to see something you put so much effort into displayed for others to see it. And it's also nice to know that the teacher thinks your work is worthy also. I'm excited to show you my last assignment (the one currently on the wall), the theme was villain's lair and let's just say I had a good time with it.
This is our one point exterior. I decided to do a giant cat jungle gym.


If we were going to include characters they had to be a seperate piece of vellum overlay,
so this is with the cats included


Figure Drawing......
Is killing me. Our teacher, to put it in simple terms, is a poop head. The hardest man to please and the toughest grader. Nobody really likes him. He's an adjunct which means he teaches a couple classes, not really a real teacher. Our midterm was to find an old masters painting and do a figure drawing with finished lines. This got me a B.

Saint John the Baptist by Caravaggio


Pottery:
This is the funnest, most relaxing class I have taken. I feel more like it's play time than a class. I have a coil jar that I handed over to Cody that I need to take a picture of, but for now all I have is a picture of a vase I did. We worked on throwing and making cylinders. Once we made 3 good cylinders we got to shape them into vases. There's only one for now because I can't seem to find my other one to glaze. This is orange shino glaze on the outside with stoney white on the inside. When it came out (you never know how they're going to) I was happy to see that both the inside and out were speckled, which tied them nicely together. And now I have a cute vase to hold my pens and pencils in on my desk :)


6 comments:

Mitch said...

This brought a happy smile to my face. I love the 'kitty cat' jungle

Mitch said...

Enjoyed it so much the first time I had to come back...

Jenna said...

love ceramics too. so relaxing. my favorite was raku

yeah - that's gotta be hard with a professor grading you based on his perspective and interpretation of what's good; other people grading art and writing never seems to do justice.

Aaron said...

I'll take a teacher who always has a critical eye, as opposed to one who always tells me everything looks great. This is how you can get better. You don't have to implement all the feedback that is given to you, but at least it will make you think about your art and how you can do things differently.

Aaron said...

...and your artwork is looking great. Keep up the good work!

Breanna said...

Wow... Jessica, I love looking at the art you do! And who cares what your professors says-- he's a poop head! I think you did a great job. :)