Wednesday, May 7, 2008

bu haotzi (no baby)

kids stories from today:

we had a half hour break in our teaching where the chinese teachers took the kids out to a sandbox (gross i know) and we got to just play with them. They called it a "field day" but i guess it was just a do something fun day. So we went out and played with them for a bit. It was kind of amusing how each of them just broke off and did their own thing. A group of the boys just started digging a hole then there were single kids that would take the buckets or molds and pack sand in and turn it around. I didnt want to get in because i could just see one of the kids dumping sand on my head or down my shirt or something. But we got in there and played a bit. At one point i was sitting on the ledge and Apple came and dumped a huge bucket of sand on my leg. Go figure. Then i saw Jodie get that look in her eye so i booked it out of the sandbox and she got snipped at by one of the chinese teachers. Then Jodie was like "teacher jessica come help me." and I'm like okay. so we go over and I help her fill up a bucket and I show her how to pack it in and we dumped it over and she's like "oh!! so good! thank you. goodbye." Alright guess thats all I was needed for. Most of the girls would start making their own little hills or molds or whatever, which of course just caused a boy (mostly apple or andrew) to just come over and destroy it and then walk away. haha.

So all of our girls are pretty concerned with beauty. Are they beautiful, do they have pretty shoes, does the person they drew have pretty eyes etc etc. Jodi, one of the prettier girls is kind of the decider on things. She likes to be in control and she knows she has influence over the other kids. Everyone wants to be liked by Jodi. So today I'm reaching behind me to grab something while her class was at the table and she says, "Teacher Jessica, you is pretty." Haha. That was a nice little boost for the day. At long as I have Jodi's approval I'm good right?

and then,

We were lining up to go to next class and I had Jae's class in line (Andrew, Jodi, Karen and Leo). So we know we're bigger than the chinese women, obviously. So every now and then the kids will come up and feel our stomachs and whatnot. So Jodi touches my touches and says, "Baby?". I say, "No. That's my stomach. There is food inside my stomach but there is no baby." And I guess Leo didnt understand me very well because he looks up at me and says,"Baby?" while pointing to my stomach and then precedes to kiss my stomach. Just a little peck. I dont know why but I just busted up laughing when he did it. He did it so innocently and caring. Haha. I was just like Chantelle please take these kids.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I guess Leo isn't familar with Brian Regan.

(you shouldnt guess at that ever ever ever ever ever ever...)