Saturday, January 31, 2009

goodbye january...

January..you were a good month I have to admit. Not the best but there's nothing to complain about. You were full of the good and the bad but I learned from those bad so it makes it worth it. So thank you January. Thank you.

If I could use three words to describe this week they would be cold, freezing and hey just for fun let's go with cold again. We had gotten a good amount snow since we've been here but not this last week but the week before things started to warm up. We had our huge piles of snow on the side from when the snow was plowed but all the ice and snow from the roads and sidewalks had melted. We even had 3-4 days with blue skies, still cold but BLUE SKIES! without the snow everywhere it almost tricked me into thinking it was fall.
But alas this last week Rexburg has killed my optimism. We got a huge storm over the weekend and the couple days after that the snow just kept coming. We got 3 inches one day, then another 3 inches and more and more. But probably the worst day was when it was -7 outside walking to classes. I have never been somewhere where it has been so cold that I got a headache walking for 10 minutes in it. It warmed up to 6 degrees that day (yay??). It's gotten a little better but now we have a good inch of ice underneath everything which isn't going to go away anytime soon.
One good thing came out of it though. Right outside our apartments there's a round about and out one side of our windows is a street leading to it. This was right after it got freezing and the roads were way icier than people thought... so we may have spent a Sunday afternoon huddled around a window watching people crash around the round about. Some guy just went straight into the snow drift. There were a couple close calls with cars coming in too fast and breaking too late and almost hitting people coming around the round about. Some guy in a little bitty car almost went sideways through the round-a-bout. And we got to laugh at a couple goober pedestrians who fell on their butts walking across. We got pretty good at judging if they were going to fast and if they could break in time. We're not bad people I promise.

bless their hearts
construction on our new auditorium continues through the cold



the view from my bedroom window

we were going to go ice-skating for FHE but our brothers said it was too cold...
(L-R: Holly, Kelly, Me and our new roommate Jeanette)

Yesterday we had our second basketball game and although I think I did fairly well, not awesome, but not bad our team just couldn't put it together. It was just a combination of bad. Our girl that can't miss a shot kept traveling, we just couldn't get a good grip on the ball etc etc. We lost 88-68 but we knew this team was good and they were a bit stacked. Their star player (who's a really dirty player) is actually engaged to the coach so you know... whatever. We brush it off and we learn. I liked a quote my coach used at the end. He said you can learn a chapter from a win, but you can learn a book from a loss. We'll figure it out and rock the rest of our games. When we see these girls again they won't be able to recognize us. Oh yeah and I randomly have a ton of bruises everywhere. 1) inside left thigh 2) right leg inch below my knee 3) right leg inch above my knee on the outside 4) a major one on my right knee 5) on my right bicep. I never use to bruise this easily... oh well battle wounds. :)

ps. I miss my family.

This one's for you mom. It's little squirrel prints in the snow!! CUTE!!

4 comments:

Megan said...

oh, i do not miss the cold. brings me back to when jenna and i were walking back from a concert and it was so cold. like colder than i'd ever felt. usually when it's like that, we run to get where we are going faster and to warm up. but when we started to run, we couldn't breathe because the air was that cold. we checked the weather... -15. so i feel your pain.

the star player is engaged to the coach? awkward! be glad you're not on that team!

come home and i will play the ukelele for you! i can't wait to show you.

Jenna said...

Yeah - I'm not a fan of cold either. Sure feel bad for you though - having to endure those Rexburg winters. No thanks!

Let me know if you see any "cougar tracks"

Take care! I miss your family too :)

Scott Taylor said...

Bitter cold and bruises - two of life's little unpleasantries that help us appreciate better things.

Grandma Taylor said...

Just try to think of next summer when you are so uncomfortably warmn. We still have a lot of snow too - but "oldies" don't have to get in it. Love you