Wednesday, October 1, 2008

apologies to all

thank you megan for keeping up such an awesome blog. not thank you because it makes people realize (*cough*dad) that Jessica has not written one in a while.

but behold I say unto you I LIVE!! I promise I did not just cease to exist after China, but I did feel a little as though my life was of no importance to report on anymore. I mean, come on, how do you top 6 months of adventures in China. You just can't okay. But I'll follow the example of my sister and make those everyday little things seem like a big deal. :)



I am back in Rexburg attending BYU-Idaho. My heart longed to be back here since the day I left back in December of 2007, but I think sometime between then and September my heart forgot why. But oh how I remember now.

There are not words to describe what BYU-Idaho means to me. It could be the people I'm surrounded by. It could be the awesome roomies I got so greatly blessed with. It could be that it's not cold here yet. But I know there's something much more to it here. This is not a university to learn what textbooks have to say. This is not a university where one grows in an educational sense. I remember back when I was a new freshmen, when I first got here they told us what this place was, what it had in store for us and what this place was all about. They told us that this is a student focused university. Teachers teach students, not get TA's to teach for them as they try and get published. All focus is on us, as students, not as students getting degrees (some of it is) but this is a place to grow as all of us should be striving to grow.

BYU-Idaho Mission Statement:
BYU-Idaho is affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Its mission is to :
-Build testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and encourage living its principles.
-Provide a quality education for students of diverse interests and abilities
-Prepare students for a lifelong learning, for employment, and for their roles as citizens and parents
-Maintain a wholesome academic, cultural, social and spiritual environment

Of all the focuses and missions BYUI holds it is their first stated mission that I treasure so dearly. This is a place where people become better disciples of Christ. Yes, its an ongoing process but its one that I rise up to with complete devotion and soberness.

Think of the place that this could be most accomplished. Can you imagine such a place? Where you get to hear from a wonderful member of the church every Tuesday to help you with this mission? To have religion classes that expand my knowledge and understanding of the most important subject? To have a temple no more than a couple blocks from your house?! To be surrounded by people striving for that same goal?

I can! I'm living it right now! I still can't believe how lucky I am to be here, to live here! To wake up everyday immersed in all of this goodness. I'm sure you think I sound a little crazy, and maybe you can't fully appreciate my excitement and appreciation for this place.

But just know that I know that I am supposed to be here. Yes, there are other places that I want to be, but I know this is my place for the now. And I can't imagine any place better.




Jessica the College Student


where the magic happens, and by magic i mean tons and tons of homework

where jessica gets a good night's rest to be ready for her classes the next day

the view from my window. tuscany must've known that sunsets are my particular favorite

my wall of everyone i love
(i got bored one night and made paper frames and hung them up with paper clip chains and thumbtacks. i was proud that i exuded such craftiness in one night)

rexburg temple

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Hi Jess - glad to hear you are finding value at BYUI - so glad you are happy.
The picture of the temple is so pretty! I remember being up there and seeing it being built! Gorgeous!

Megan said...

SHE DOES LIVE!!!!!!

welcome back. remember, no life is boring... especially to the people who love and care about how you are doing.

i love the pictures. i love your craftiness! im impressed.

i know what you mean about byui. im glad you are so happy. im glad you found your heart again there, it can be such a wonderful place.

then... it's midterms, your fhe brothers turn out to be weirdos, its ten below outside and the best idea you've had all week is watching six episodes of the office in a row.

just kidding :)

just know i really do miss you and that i love all of your thoughts/pictures/efforts to reach the outside world! :)