Monday, October 27, 2008

Treat Yourself

On Saturday I had absolutely nothing to do, and it just so happened that the BYU Ballroom Dance Company was performing on campus. The 7:30 was sold out so I bought a ticket to the 2pm performance. I remembered it last minute so I went by myself (we're going to pretend that it was by choice). So I enjoyed a nice little afternoon to myself. I walked around the Burg for a bit, treated myself to the Pita Pit (amazingly good) and went to the show.
I envy dancers so much. I am not what they call flexible, though I got rhythm. But these dancers just left me speechless. They were all absolutely GORGEOUS, their outfits were AMAZING. ugh. I just loved everything about it. I was moved to tears, laughed out loud, and felt like I was right on stage in the midst of the magic that I had the honor of seeing.

(excuse the pictures, i wasn't allowed to use flash)


yum. chicken ceaser


my view


you can't see it very well but the guys had awesome bright red zuit suits


awesome Hairspray medley




the finale

The Program:

  • "A Tribute to Fred Astaire" - Opener
  • "Summer Wind" (Foxtrot)
  • "Tail Feather" (West Coast Swing)
    • LOVE this song. Way fun to watch
  • "If You Could Hie to Kolob" (Theatre Arts)
    • This one was definitely the most beautiful dance of the program. Seriously stunning.
  • "Waltz of the Flowers" (Viennese Waltz)
  • "Regular Joe" (Lindy Hop)
    • This was the zuit suit dance. Way fun. I love the lindy hop.
  • "Oye Celia" (Mambo)
  • "Jealousy"
    • This was a cool skit/dance. It was like an office and a hot red haired lady got hired and all the guys were fighting over her, and the other office girl was jealous. The way they used their bodies to express conversation was amazing.
  • "Dance with my Father" (Rumba)
    • Very good song
  • "Pirates of the Caribbean"
    • Cool Cool Cool. It was like a fight dance.
  • "A Daisty in December" (Waltz)
  • "Hairspray"
    • Fun mix of a bunch of the hairspray songs. A girl actually sang "I can hear the bells". This was the funnest and got the crowd way excited
  • "Doo Wah Diddy" (Cha Cha)
    • Cool beat version of this song
  • "Puttin' on the Ritz" (Quickstep)
    • I love quickstep.
  • "MicGalaxy"
    • THIS WAS AWESOME. They had all the lights out and only black light. The only thing you could see was their outfits and put a UFO/alien twist on it. This was cool.
  • "It Had Better Be Tonight" (Samba)
  • "Vive Espana" (Ballroom Competition Medley)
    • This was their most recent dance for the U.S. National Formation Championship (which they've been undefeated since 1982)
  • "Drop the Beat" (Latin American Competition Medley)
    • Same as the previous dance (still undefeated since 1982)
  • "There's No Business Like Show Business"

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I wish so bad I lived closer to you... I would have LOVED going to something like that. Aaron would have loved me going with YOU instead of making him come with me :) Ha ha!

Megan said...

okay #1, i can't believe they have a pita pit there. jealous.

#2, hairspray!! (did they sing, or just dance?) mambo! rumba!! now double jealous.

and if i was there, i would have gone with you, too! :)

Breanna said...

I'm really glad you got to see their performance! I can never believe how easy they make everything look.

It's too bad that BYUI doesn't host the February competition anymore--I bet you would have liked that too!