Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Deserted Rexburg

This past weekend was Conference Weekend which really means that a majority of Rexburg leaves on the great trek to Utah to watch conference. I've never been to conference at the conference center, but i want to someday. But its nice because when everyone leaves it feels like you own Rexburg because you're one of the only ones still around. I only had one other room mate who didn't go to Utah. So it was kind of nice just having a chill weekend and watching conference.

It was wierd though because Saturday threw us off, we kept thinking it was Sunday. Like we felt guilty doing homework, but then we're like um, its Saturday. Or going to the store felt like we were breaking the Sabbath. Overall though it was an amazing weekend. I go to the Taylor Chapel to watch it with Chantelle and her roomate came along. I went to all the sessions there except Sunday morning session Kelly (my room mate) made an amazing crepe breakfast and had some people over. The only damper was that it was the first miserable cold rainy weekend with even a short hail storm. The sad part is is that compared to what's coming it wasn't even that cold. Ooooh Rexburg. If there's one thing it's infamous for is its awwwful winters. Yay me.

Other than that Cody comes out this Friday, so we'll spend the next two weekends in Utah and the week here in Rexburg. Luckily I have some guy friends here that are letting him crash for the week. But I'm just so excited. Finally Rexburg will be complete in its happiness. :)

Favorite talks:
  • Dieter F. Uchtdorf's Saturday morning talk on Hope
  • Joseph B. Wirthlin's Saturday morning talk; Come What May & Love It
  • Lawrence E. Corbridge's Saturday morning talk on Christ (This one wins for my favorite talk of all of conference)
  • David A. Bednar's Saturday afternoon talk as a sequel to his previous conference talk on prayer (his last talk in april about asking in faith I have taught two lessons from and given a talk and used it as a reference, so I knew his previous one like an old friend so I was excited when he had more to add)
  • Russell M. Nelson's Sunday Afternoon talk got a lot of gasps in a crowd of BYU-Idaho students who hear nothing but marriage and all of us just sat there wide mouthed kind of like um.. did he just say that? as he compared marriage to shopping. lol. we found that particularly entertaining. but it was good nonetheless.
  • And it is also a pleasure to hear the words of our new prophet Thomas S. Monson
Overall, very good weekend. :)
oh p.s. the friday before my room mate Paige and I had the opportunity to go to the Rexburg Temple for the first time to do baptisms. Very good experience.



3 comments:

Scott Taylor said...

Next April, find a ride and come join the fun here in Provo. Maybe I can even scrounge up a conference ticket for you?

Megan said...

That is such a pretty picture of the temple! Did you take it yourself? (of course you did ;) )

i loved conference, too. my favorite by far was the Prophets talk about gratitude.

I miss you and can't wait to see you!

Jenna said...

Yeah, good luck with the winter there. Icky. You should go down to my parents' next time for sure! My mom would spoil you for sure.

The temple is gorgeous!